top of page
< Back

St. George Rosenwald School, St. George

PRESERVATION HONOR AWARD

Built in 1925 at the height of the Rosenwald School construction program across the South, the St. George school was built as a six-teacher school and grew over time as it served the educational needs of black schoolchildren in St. George. Abandoned in the 1970’s the school was purchased by the town in 2014 and nine years later, after an inspiring rehabilitation, it opened as an educational center, a place to interpret the work of Julius Rosenwald and Booker T. Washington, a community center and a satellite of the Lowcountry Children’s Museum. The jury recognized the massive undertaking by the Town of St. George, the skill and difficulty of the rehabilitation and the community impact.

Town of St. George
Board of Directors, St. George Rosenwald School Corp.
Glenn Keyes, Glenn Keyes Architects
bottom of page