Pottersville House in Edgefield, SC
The last remaining structure of Pottersville: a pottery community located just outside of Edgefield dating to circa 1815
Built circa 1815, the Pottersville House is the last structure remaining from what was once the town of Pottersville 180 years ago. It is believed to have originally been owned by Abner Landrum, and used as a home, a church and a school before being turned into a home for the last owner of Pottersville: John Kirksey.
Pottersville was a stoneware community during the early 19th century, located jut a few miles from the town of Edgefield. This community included freedmen, enslaved workers, and other craftsmen whose trades supported the pottery village. In 1826 Robert Mills estimated that the village, which he called Landrumsville, had “sixteen or seventeen houses, and as many families.” By 1832 the village may have grown to 150 persons.
Today, the only remaining structure is the house believed to be owned by Abner Landrum.
The house is located on 2 acres and is currently owned by Preservation South Carolina. Though it has suffered from the past 30 years of neglect, much of its historic fabric is intact and can be rehabilitated.
The City of Edgefield owns adjoining property where a woodfired Kiln, known as the Dr. Arthur and Esther Goldberg Groundhog Kiln, is used to fire pottery. The kiln is fired three times a year using Southern Yellow Pine. The pots produced reflects a wood-burning tradition of creating pots that dates to over 200 years.
We envision turning the Pottersville House into a center for the community and a gateway to the world of Edgefield pottery.